“But what would I write about? Why does the world need another blog?” He, again, confidently responds: “The world might not need it, but I think your soul does.”
All together now.... “Hmmmm.”
My knee-jerk response: “Why write, just because it’s good for my soul? I mean, shouldn’t I have a goal in place - a theme and a direction for the blog to go, a set list of categories to write about - I mean, really, shouldn’t I hope to get a book deal out of this someday if I’m going to put time into it?!?”
All together now... “Oh Anne....”
I remember a conversation I had a few years ago with my very favorite college professor, Eleanor. She was telling me about a spiritual direction training course she was taking at the time, and how much she loved it. Her husband, Chuck, couldn’t understand why she was doing it if she wasn’t planning on hanging a slate up on her door to be an official “Spiritual Director”. Her answer: “I am simply entertaining my soul.” And that was reason enough.
I’ve often wondered what the difference is between blogging and journaling. (That, I know I can do.) All I keep coming back to is that there is something to be said for putting words down on paper that you know other eyes will see. Free expression, driven by intention, and monitored by that little voice that resides in us all - that seems to me to be what blogging is about. To have a voice. To be heard. To validate thoughts. Who doesn’t need that?
Writing has forever been a space for me to express myself comfortably. And Brian is right - it is good for my soul. Entertaining, even. And that is reason enough.
Have you ever thought about how you can simply entertain your own soul? When is the last time you did that?

No comments:
Post a Comment