Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Liberal...Conservative...Who Really Cares?

I recently watched "Fireproof", the fictional movie created by Sherwood Baptist Church in Atlanta, GA to put a spotlight on marriage and God, in a nutshell.  I watched it with a somewhat skeptical eye, given my admittedly resistant reaction (at least, initially) to anything put out by the "conservative" side of Christianity.  This reaction in me stems from a less than pleasant experience with a "religious right" group of Christians while I was in Germany, and the southern baptist church unfortunately falls into the same category in my mind.

And you know what?  I liked it!  It filled me with hope, and it motivated me to take steps to deepening my own Christianity.  (As well as my marriage, for that matter!)  And yes, I thought most of the acting was UBER CHEESY and there was a lot of "God talk" that makes me squirm a bit, still.

And all this got me thinking...

Why do I, as what I would call a "liberal Christian", feel unsafe admitting that I got something substantive out of a movie like Fireproof?

Answer?

Assumptions.  That's why.

By saying I liked the movie, I assume that I am opening myself up to others' potential assumptions about the kind of Christian I am.  Does the fact that I enjoyed Fireproof also suggest that I am pro-life, anti-gay marriage, and read the Bible literally?  I hope not, because none of those are true about me.  So, why do I feel like I need to add a caveat to my reaction to the movie?  "Fireproof?  I liked it and got a lot out of it....and it's too bad they couldn't include a gay couple in it, too, huh? Or maybe a female minister?"

So that's where I am...struggling to react authentically, yet being mindful of the stereotypes our society has set in place and letting those invade my thoughts.

And what was the scripture reading today at church?  Romans 12:1-2, 9-10: "I appeal to you, therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect...Love must be sincere, hate what is evil; cling to what is good, be devoted to one another in love, honor one another above yourselves."  

Let's face it.  My held-onto stereotypes and assumptions are an expression of being "conformed to this world".  And I know they make Jesus cringe...so here I am, sharing them and trying to break them by saying: I liked Fireproof, and I also support gay marriage.  I liked Fireproof, and I also believe women should be able to lead in pastoral positions.  I liked Fireproof, and I don't interpret the Bible literally.

I liked Fireproof, and I would likely not become a member at Sherwood Baptist Church in Atlanta, but I might get something out of a sermon or two.  Baby steps, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment